Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Don't Get Lost in Depression

Don't Get Lost In Depression


I was in a pretty bad depression that lasted for over a year. When I made it out, my fears were:  
  • Would it come back?
  • How long would it last if it did come back?  
  • What could I do to stop it from coming back?

I'm sure that I was not alone in my fears. Anyone who has experienced a long depression, knows those fears. 

Well, the first two questions have no answers. There is know way to know. That is a scary feeling. It is also something that you need to get out of your head. I mean really don't think about it.

Something to can think about is the third question.  What do I do if it comes back?  The answer is, you fight. You now have an advantage. You know it lies.  You know that it will end.  

When you feel it coming on,  you start fighting. Don't let it get a chance to suck you in.  Get out of the house and visit friends. Start doing things you enjoy. Try not to be alone.  Other things that help are:

  • Remember depression lies to you. You can choose how to feel
  • Journal your bad feelings and then write down the reasons that they are not true
  • Keep a list of all the blessings in your life.
  • Set a goal such as running or loosing weight, etc. and put your all into doing it

The longer you stay in bed and let the depression hold on, the harder it will be to fight your way back. I gave into it for a long time.  When I stopped letting it control me, I started getting better.  There are days when I want to crawl back into my depression.  I might give myself they day off, but then I have to fight back or it will suck me back.  

Depression is a disease of the mind. You will always have to be aware that it can strike. Stay on your medication. If you feel yourself getting depressed, talk to a therapist if you need to. Get rid of stress.  Just remember that you have the ability to decide how you want to feel.   Don't let depression lie to you.







No comments: